Facebook dangerous sarin gas parcel discovery: A parcel trapped with sarin found at Facebook, here is why this substance is very dangerous!

A Facebook mail processing center was quarantined after routine examinations on Monday, July 1 suggested that a suspicious package that might contain sarin, a deadly chemical nerve agent, was sent to Facebook's headquarters in Menlo Park (United States). The Menlo Park Fire Brigade (MPFD) told Business Insider US that employees at the warehouse where a suspected package containing sarin was detected were being monitored for possible symptoms. exposure but so far nobody seems to have been touched. It is also possible that the test to scan the mails was a false positive.

The FBI and the National Guard have both been called to assist in the investigation. "We have two possible exposure cases but for now, both employees have no signs of exposure or symptoms," said Jon Johnston, the fire chief of Menlo Park, Reuters.

Facebook dangerous sarin gas parcel discovery

In a statement, Anthony Harrison, a spokesman for Facebook, said: "At 11:00 this morning, a package delivered to one of our mail processing centers was deemed suspect, we evacuated four buildings and we We are in the process of conducting a thorough investigation in coordination with the local authorities, who have not yet identified the substance detected, and for the moment three of the four evacuated buildings are now safe and have been reoccupied. The safety of our employees is our top priority and we will share other information as it becomes available. "

If someone at Facebook has been exposed to sarin, it could be very serious. Sarin can kill people, especially if their exposure is not treated quickly with antidotes (such as atropine and pralidoxime chloride), fresh air and soap on exposed skin. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) in the United States, just a drop of sarin on the skin can damage the human nervous system enough to be fatal.


Advertisement


Last year, an alleged sarin gas attack in Syria killed between 40 and 150 people and injured hundreds more, as reported by Dave Mosher of Business Insider US at the time.

What sarin does to people

Initially, in 1938, sarin was developed as a pesticide in Germany. It is an odorless substance that is colorless, tasteless and easily dissolves in water.

People can be exposed to sarin - in liquid or gaseous form - without realizing that they have been contacting the chemical. Sarin, in liquid form, can seep into clothing and "nothing but a small drop of sarin on the skin can cause sweating and muscle spasms on the infected area," warns the CDC.

It can also be infected by breathing sarin in the air or by ingesting it after the toxic agent comes into contact with food or water. Sararin evaporates quickly but it is the most volatile neurotoxic agent we know. At certain doses, sarin can cause seizures, paralysis and breathing problems that can lead to death.

Exposure to sarin can be treated before it causes death. But for this, infected people need to take antidotes quickly. Moving away from sarin gas, removing all exposed clothing and breathing fresh air: these are the best actions that an exposed person must take quickly to increase their chances of recovering from a dangerous sarin attack. As sarin is heavier than air, the CDC recommends getting high and "cleaning all traces of liquid sarin on the skin with large amounts of soap and water".